May 15, 2013

Cable Knit Blanket Success

I do actually finish projects, although these days it seems like it's taking longer than usual! I gave an update on my recent yarn projects here, and I'm happy to say that the gray blanket is now complete! (You can find the link to the free pattern there as well.) 

The pattern called for four panels that you seam up afterwards. I made five -- either my gauge was off, or this yarn curled more than usual, because my blanket was narrower than I wanted it to be. 


It turns out seaming up garter stitch is pretty easy! I used this tutorial here from Knitty.  

Aren't the cables pretty? I love how soft and thick this blanket turned out, since you knit two balls of yarn at one time. 



I also crocheted an easy border around the edge to prevent it from curling even more. 

I just did single crochet around one time, then a simple shell stitch on the next round. 


This was actually a breeze to make once I got cracking on it. The pattern is easy to memorize and since you're making the blanket in strips, it seems to go faster -- imagine just making five long scarves instead of a blanket! 

The best part about this project was that I made most of it while hanging out with my mom. She had no idea what was going on with that gray yarn and needles -- most of the time it really did look like a scarf. 

Imagine her surprise when I gave her the finished blanket as part of her Mother's Day gift! 


Remember when you were little and brought home artwork from school? Or a lopsided pottery dish? Well, I don't think I've ever outgrown the thrill of giving someone a handmade gift despite my age. 

And I don't think my mom has outgrown receiving a handmade gift either. 

5 comments:

  1. Your mom must have been thrilled to receive this gorgeous blanket. I love the steely grey colour and the cable pattern is really fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She loved it. I remember watching her crochet blankets when I was little, so it was fun to give her a handmade knit one.

      Delete
  2. Hi! Just found this post when looking at google images of this pattern. I am making it for my son as a Christmas present! I'm using a similar shade of dark grey. I've decided to make each panel 10 cables long instead of 7, though, to give it more length. Not sure about sewing them up, but I'll figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Yes, I would definitely recommend making it bigger.

      Delete